2 cups raw pecan halves
1/3 cup gluten-free beer (Coors® Peak) or almond milk or other dairy or non-dairy milk
2 Tbs. flaxseed meal
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ tsp. sea salt
½ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup coconut nectar, brown rice syrup or Karo syrup
¼ cup brown sugar or unrefined coconut palm sugar
2 Tbs. gfJules™ Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
3 Tbs. Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks or butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread pecans on a baking pan and toast in preheated oven for 5-8 minutes, stirring so they don’t brown too much or burn. Set aside to cool, then coarsely chop 1 cup of nuts, leaving 1 cup whole.
- Combine gluten-free beer, flaxseed meal, vanilla and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside while preparing remaining filling ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together maple syrup, coconut nectar, sugar, gfJules™ flour and Buttery Sticks over medium heat, then increase to medium-high and bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Remove from the stove and add the beer-flax mixture and chopped nuts. Stir to fully combine, then pour into prepared pie plate with unbaked gluten free pie crust. Arrange unchopped, toasted nuts on top of pie randomly or in a decorative pattern.
- Brush crust edges with milk of choice (or egg white + 1 Tbs. water if not vegan). Cover crust edges with pie crust covers and remove after 40 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes more (50 minutes total). Remove to fully cool before serving with your favorite ice cream or whipped cream, or just plain!
Copyright 2015 Jules E. D. Shepard